Sunday, August 28, 2011

What's In Your Quiver? (with a Viking accent)

You know, I find it interesting what bowhunters use and why they use it.  When hunting with a new group of individuals, along with asking about their bows and broadheads, I like to check out how big of a quiver they carry.  I have seen everything from three arrows to twelve.  Hmmm.  How many times do they think they'll get a shot at a deer in one sitting?  Almost always, each arrow has their version of the perfect broadhead.

I on the other hand, am an opportunist.  I never hunt one thing, and I like to be prepared.  If an animal is in season, and there is a use for it, I will take it.

Let's flashback to a bear hunt I took in the North Carolina mountains several years ago.  When bowhunting I always scan the field with the rangefinder once I get settled.  I want to know where the animal is without having to guess or provide a chance to be seen with the extra movement of grabbing the rangefinder while the animal is in front of me.

Well the very first evening, about 200 yards away, I saw a bear.  She cut the corner of the field and never entered range.  Again, I consider myself an opportunistic hunter, so remember that as this story ends.  I waited in the stand a while longer, and just before shooting light would disappear, is when I saw my target.  It was black and on the small size as it left the cover of the brush and entered the field.   It was headed straight toward the tree I was set up in.  If it made it to the 50 yard mark, I decided I would take my shot.
Skunked in 2008.

I waited patiently, and as it stepped toward the large golden leaf I had ranged earlier, I drew back the arrow and string.  I was confident from 50 yards, but like I said, this one was on the small size.  With a release of my breath, then a twitch of my finger on the trigger release, the arrow sailed to its mark.  The 100 grain G5 Small Game Head hit true, and after only a few seconds of rolling around, I had my trophy.  Not a bear mind you.  But a trophy, of sorts.  My SGH had just found the vitals of a skunk. I used the proper equipment for the challenge at hand, all because I had in my quiver, six arrows.  Three were equipped with G5 Montec 100 grain broadheads, two contained G5 SGHs, and one was tipped with a blunt head judo point.

So when you are in the stand or field for your next hunt, consider saving one or more of those arrows for a surprise encounter with a different type of game animal you may pride yourself in taking.

If you liked this story, see some of my other posts:

Bill Howard's Outdoors: Getting Skunked on a Bear Hunt

Bill Howard's Outdoors: Early Withdrawal

Bill Howard writes a weekly outdoors column for the Wilson Times and Yancey County News and the blog site Bill Howard's Outdoors. He is a Hunter Education and International Bowhunter Education instructor, lifetime member of the North Carolina Bowhunters Association, Bowhunter Certification Referral Service Chairman, member and official measurer of Pope and Young, and a regular contributor to North Carolina Bowhunter Magazine.

4 comments:

  1. Nicely done. I have Carbon express Maxima Hunters tipped with either Magnus Buzzcuts, or Stricklands Helix broadhead in 100 grains and one judo point for small game.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking ahead JB! Thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice! I keep a full, five-arrow quiver with Easton FMJs and Muzzy MX-4's. Once in a while I'll keep a judo tip on one for rabbits or cottontails, but where I'm hunting now they are few and far between.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Al! Any luck with the California bruins yet?

    ReplyDelete